Doggy History

Kennel Club

Kennel Club
The Kennel club was formed on the 4th April 1873 at 2 Albert Mansions Victoria Street
Sewallis Evelyn Shirley MP was the founder and the first Kennel Club Chairman
Sewallis resigned as Chairman in 1899 and then became President till 1904
The Stud book was started then and its first volume contained records of dog shows from 1859 to 1873.was published and distributed at the Birmingham Show held on December 1st -4th 1874
Due to various dogs with the same name it was decided to introduce a “universal registration” system in 1880
The Duchess of Newcastle was elected to the chair of the newly formed Ladies Branch of the Kennel Club on July 19th 1899
By 1900, the dog exhibiting public which included woman, including Queen Victoria with her “Spitz” Victorian Pomeranians, attending thirty Championship Shows
In 1948 The Kennel Club held its first "Crufts" at Olympia.
The registrations were kept on a paper filing system until 1981, when a computer was installed
The Kennel Club Junior Organisation (K.C.J.O.) affectionly called Casey Jones, was established in 1985 with members from 6 years to 24 year olds
The KCJO has now changed to The Young Kennel Club (YKC)
The Kennel Club Charitable Trust was also founded in 1985, which gives donations to canine projects, rescue, and dogs for the disabled, including clinical research for canine diseases.
The Canine Code was introduced in 1988, and the Good Citizen Dog Scheme in 1992
After several moves around London the Kennel Club acquired the freehold of a bombed site of 1-4 Clarges Street (1956), purchasing the property in 1957 and acquiring the freehold of number 5 Clarges Street (1964), which is now the permanent home of the Kennel Club.
The Canine Code was introduced in 1988, and the Good Citizen Dog Scheme in 1992
In the summer of 1999, the Kennel club took over its additional premises in Aylesbury for its registration department, and PetLog
(Also run by the Kennel Club), the national dog identification and re- unification (cats included) offices

Addresses and Contact details
The Kennel Club, 1-5 Clarges Street, Piccadilly, London W1J 8AB
Telephone: 0844 463 3980. Fax: 020 7518 1058
http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/

For registration queries contact theAylesbury office:
The Kennel Club, 4a Alton House, Gatehouse Way, Aylesbury, Bucks HP19 8XU
Telephone: 0844 463 3980. Fax: 01296 486725

The Kennel Club Building at Stoneleigh Park venue for canine events
The Kennel Club Building
Stoneleigh Park
Near Coventry
Warwickshire
CV8 2LZ
0844 4633 980 extension 290
http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/kcbuilding
The Kennel Club Building at Stoneleigh Park is in the grounds of The Royal Agricultural Society of England, Stoneleigh Park, Warwickshire, CV8 2LZ, UK which is just off the A46, which links the M40 (Junction 5) with the M69 and the M6 (Junction 2).
The Kennel Club Building is the UK’s only venue created to suit all canine educational needs from dog shows and training sessions to seminars and meetings.
The Club Building at Stoneleigh Park has its own direct entrance



The Kennel Club